Why Your Business Should Migrate from Cognos to Power BI?
Powerful business intelligence solutions like Cognos and Power BI have assisted organizations in turning raw data into useful insights. However, many businesses are choosing to switch from Cognos to Power BI to take advantage of new opportunities and maximize the value of their data due to Power BI’s rising popularity and seamless connection with the Microsoft ecosystem.
Despite sharing several similarities, businesses increasingly favor Power BI over Cognos due to a multitude of compelling reasons that we’ll explore in this article. We’ll also learn about the advantages of migrating to Power BI from Cognos and the best way to do it in just 8 steps. Whether you’re just starting out in your migration journey or need support at a specific point, this article by iLink Digital is a comprehensive resource you need.
Why Power BI is a better choice than Cognos?
- Vendor and Ecosystem Integration: Cognos is developed by IBM, while Power BI is a product of Microsoft. As a result, Power BI has strong integration with other Microsoft tools, such as Office 365 and Azure, providing seamless connectivity and collaboration within the Microsoft ecosystem.
- User Interface and Ease of Use: Power BI is often praised for its user-friendly interface and intuitive drag-and-drop functionality, making it accessible to business users and analysts with varying technical skills. Cognos, on the other hand, may have a steeper learning curve and may require more technical expertise.
- Pricing Model: Cognos typically follows a traditional software licensing model, where users pay upfront for licenses and ongoing maintenance fees. Power BI, on the other hand, offers a more flexible pricing structure, including free and subscription-based options, making it more accessible for smaller organizations or individual users.
- Advanced Analytics and Machine Learning: Power BI provides more advanced analytics capabilities, such as data modeling, DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) formulas, and integration with Azure Machine Learning. These features enable users to perform complex calculations and leverage predictive analytics. Cognos also offers advanced analytics features but may have different functionalities and tools.
Power BI has a very user-friendly and straightforward user interface, making it available to a variety of users, including business users and analysts. Without extensive technical knowledge, users can simply create interactive visualizations and explore data using its drag-and-drop capabilities and visual query builder.
Advantages of Migrating to Power BI
Power BI offers several advantages that make it a game-changer for your business analytics. Here are a few points to note:
- Cost-Effectiveness: Power BI offers flexible and cost-effective pricing options, including a free version and various subscription plans. This affordability makes it accessible to organizations of all sizes, including small and medium-sized businesses. Cognos, on the other hand, typically follows a traditional licensing model, which may involve higher upfront costs.
- Rapid Development and Deployment: Power BI allows for rapid development and deployment of reports and dashboards. It’s intuitive design and a vast library of pre-built visuals and templates enable users to quickly create compelling data visualizations. Additionally, Power BI’s cloud-based architecture simplifies the distribution and sharing of reports with stakeholders.
- Broad Data Connectivity Options: Power BI offers extensive data connectivity options, allowing users to connect to a wide range of data sources, including databases, cloud services, and online platforms. This flexibility enables organizations to consolidate and analyze data from multiple sources, providing a holistic view of their business operations.
- Active and Engaged Community: Power BI has a vibrant and active user community, which contributes to a wealth of resources, knowledge sharing, and custom visualizations available through the Power BI marketplace. This community support fosters innovation, offers solutions to common challenges, and encourages collaboration among users.
- Advanced Analytics Capabilities: Power BI provides advanced analytics capabilities, such as data modeling, calculations, and integration with machine learning. Users can perform complex calculations, create sophisticated measures, and leverage predictive analytics to gain deeper insights and make data-driven decisions.
- Continuous Product Updates: Power BI is continuously updated and enhanced by Microsoft, with regular feature releases and improvements. These updates often address user feedback and introduce new functionalities, ensuring that Power BI remains at the forefront of business intelligence innovation.
In conclusion, migrating from Cognos to Power BI opens a world of possibilities for organizations, providing enhanced data visualization, advanced analytics, and seamless integration within the Microsoft ecosystem. With careful planning, strategic execution, and ongoing support, a successful migration can empower your organization to unlock the full potential of your data and make more informed, data-driven decisions with Power BI.
8 Steps to Migrate from Cognos to Power BI
iLink offers these well-thought-out suggestions to help your company switch from Cognos to Power BI smoothly.
Step #1: Assess and Understand Your Current Environment
Begin by thoroughly assessing your current Cognos environment. Understand the structure, complexity, and scope of your Cognos reports, data sources, and data models. Identify any dependencies, customizations, or unique features that may impact the migration process.
Step #2: Define Migration Objectives and Prioritize
Clearly define your migration objectives and prioritize them based on business needs. Determine which reports, dashboards, and data models are critical and need to be migrated first. This helps in focusing your efforts and ensuring a smooth transition for essential functionalities.
Step #3: Plan and Map Data Migration
Develop a comprehensive plan for migrating your data from Cognos to Power BI. Identify the required data sources, data mappings, transformations, and calculations needed to replicate your existing Cognos reports in Power BI. Ensure data integrity by validating and cleansing the data before migrating to Power BI.
Step #4: Redesign and Optimize Reports for Power BI
Take advantage of Power BI’s unique features and visualizations by redesigning your reports for the new platform. Consider adapting the layout, formatting, and visualization types to make the most of Power BI’s capabilities. Optimize the performance of your reports and dashboards by leveraging Power BI’s advanced query and caching options.
Step #5: Validate and Test
Before fully transitioning, thoroughly test and validate your migrated reports and dashboards in Power BI. Verify the accuracy, completeness, and performance of your reports to ensure they meet the desired requirements and provide reliable insights. Solicit feedback from users and stakeholders to address any issues or refinements before going live.
Step #6: Monitor and Optimize Performance
Continuously monitor the performance of your Power BI environment after the migration. Identify areas for optimization, such as query performance, data refresh schedules, and report rendering speed. Leverage Power BI’s monitoring and diagnostic tools to identify bottlenecks and make necessary adjustments to improve performance.
Step #7: Plan for Change Management
Change management is crucial during a migration process. Communicate the benefits of Power BI to stakeholders and users, addressing any concerns or resistance. Develop a communication plan, conduct regular updates, and provide ongoing support to ensure a smooth transition and user adoption of Power BI.
Step #8: Collaborate with Experts
iLink has the expertise and has specialized in Qlik to Power BI migrations. We can provide valuable guidance, best practices, and assistance in ensuring a successful migration, especially for complex or large-scale projects.
iLink Digital is a two-time winner of the MSUS Partner Award in Power BI (2022 & 2021)
At iLink, we know that every organization’s migration process is different and has unique requirements and customization needs. Our objective is to equip you with the knowledge you need to make use of Power BI’s advantages and unleash the full potential of your data-driven decision-making
Whether you are starting your migration journey for the first time or are searching for guidance at a certain stage, our experts at iLink Digital will assist you. As a Winner of the Microsoft US Partner award in Power BI for 2021 & 2022, iLink has helped several Fortune 500 and Global 2000 customers to make the most out of their Power BI investment. Last year iLink hosted 12 virtual Power BI workshops with almost 500 attendees from over 150 countries and received an impressive satisfaction score of 4.85.
Ready to unlock the full potential of Power BI for your organization? Check our service portfolio!